Scoil Na Croise Naofa, Geashill
The present school opened in 1970 replacing the old school and Raheen School which closed in 1969.
It was built as a three-room school. In 1983 the extension was built to the school including a General Purpose room, office, storerooms and toilets; also a tarmacadam basketball court was built at the rear of the school. A new four classroom extension was completed in 2016.
We think that our school’s name Scoil Na Croise Naofa was called after the Priory of the Holy Cross, an ancient Augustinian monastery in Killeigh which was closed down by Henry VIII in the 1540’s or shortly afterwards.
There has been a school on this site since 1862. It was built by Lord Digby for the children of Geashill. Lord Digby owned the village and the land around it. It was built of limestone. The old school still stands today. It is right beside our present school.
The old school is now called the Geashill Heritage and Community Centre. It was officially opened as this on 7 September 2005. It has a new roof and new windows.
Inside there are new wooden floors.
A committee worked very hard to renovate the building. They received grants from different groups. The old school is now used as a meeting place for the people of the area
In 2012 we celebrated our school’s 150th anniversary.
150th Anniversary – Geashill N
On Sunday 25th November 2012, Geashill community gathered together to celebrate the 150th Anniversary of Geashill N.S. The Old School in Geashill was opened in 1862 and served as the National School until 1970 when the present school was opened. Since then the old school has been refurbished and was officially opened in 2005 as a village community hall. It serves the community in a variety of ways such as hosting Parent and Toddler groups and a weekly whist drive. The afternoon commenced with a Prayer Service led by Monsignor Coonan. Eoin Conroy a past pupil welcomed everyone on behalf of the organising committee. Past and current pupils took part in the service, reading prayers, presenting symbols and singing.
School Principal, Mícheál Hyland spoke of the changes in education since the establishment of Geashill N.S. in 1862. He highlighted that much has stayed the same, especially the importance of a caring and nourishing educational environment for all children. He also spoke of the life long friendships that have always been formed in primary school. He thanked the numerous people who had helped to make the celebration possible. He especially mentioned the organising committee, comprising of Board of Management members and Geashill Old School committee members, which had begun their preparations in August. He also thanked all the staff of the school for putting so much effort into the preparations for the day.
Following this, two of the oldest past pupils Martin Dempsey and Sonny Daly along with Sonny’s grandchildren Cara and Eoin Corcoran, current Geashill pupils, buried a time capsule in front of the old school. This will be opened in 2062 on the school’s 200th anniversary. It contains many items from the present day.
It featured a specially commissioned DVD was shown as part of the celebrations. It featured past pupils, who had attended the old school, speaking about their school days. The present pupils and teachers also appeared, highlighting the changes that have occurred in education and in Geashill N.S. in particular.
Many photographs and historical displays were on view throughout both buildings which gave the large crowd lots of opportunities to remember and reminisce with their old school friends.
Jonathan, Maeve and Emma Byrne, three past pupils entertained the crowd with some traditional Irish music. They certainly added to the atmosphere. Throughout the afternoon refreshments were served in both the old and new schools by a team of volunteers from the community.
The organising committee wish to thank everyone who helped out in making the day an occasion that will remain with all who were there for years to come.
Here’s to the next 150 years.